The Stone Cross War Memorial
Saturday May 2nd 2020 is the Centenary of the Dedication of the Stone Cross War Memorial (SCWM), situated in the Churchyard outside the South Door of St. Mary’s Priory Church, Tutbury, Staffs.
Funding was started in December 1918, soon after the WWI Armistice. It was funded by public subscription and built in 1919/1920 and Dedicated on Sunday 2nd May 1920, dedicated by the then Bishop of Stafford to the 47 Fallen from Tutbury.
Subsequently, a Plaque was added in 1948 in memory of the 13 Tutbury men who Fell in WWII.
After major conservation works, it was Rededicated on Friday 1 July 2016 by the Bishop of Stafford.
It was planned to have an exhibition about the Memorial in St. Mary’s Priory Church either side of the anniversary but the current Covid-19 rules mean that this cannot happen. It is hoped that we will be able to have the exhibition at a future date.
In the meantime, this small website is dedicated in gratitude to those who Fell in both World Wars and to their memory.
The SCWM is not the only War Memorial in Tutbury. During the 20th Century at least 17 Memorials to those whole Fell and Served in war were created in Tutbury, 15 of which still exist (two are missing). The last page of this website is a list of the 17 War Memorials plus associated objects – a book about the Memorials (A4 size, 70+ pages) will be published later this year. If you would like further details or any information, please fill in the form below.
- 100 Years
- Centenary of the Tutbury War Memorial
- The Project
- Tutbury WW II Roll of Honour
- Tutbury WW II Roll of Honour – British Legion
- War Memorials – Other
- War Memorials – St. Mary’s
- Wreath Holders